Visitor Services Associate
The Maryland Center for History and Culture seeks an enthusiastic part-time Visitor Services Associate to join a knowledgeable and dedicated Visitor Experience Team. The ideal candidate for this position would be a friendly, energetic individual who enjoys interacting with visitors, staff, trustees, volunteers and members, connecting people with the organization and its resources.
The Visitor Experience Team strives to make MCHC an accessible place by providing a high level of customer service and adjusting to the needs of the audiences we serve. This position also has key responsibilities for safety and security functions of MCHC facilities.
- Perform the daily operations of the front desk, providing excellent customer service by contributing to a warm and welcoming environment;
- Greet, orient, and register patrons to the museum and library, collect admission fees, provide orientation and museum guides when appropriate, and maintain stocks of literature for events and programs;
- Promote visitor engagement by actively selling memberships and inform visitors of upcoming programs and events;
- Perform front line telephone receptionist functions: answer telephone calls promptly, provide basic information regarding MCHC and the museum and library collections, and transfer callers to the appropriate personnel;
- Monitor onsite traffic to maintain awareness of visitors, staff, contractors, and appointments;
- Assist with the collection and logging of demographic information used for tracking visitation numbers;
- Assist in the set-up and breakdown of programs and events, and light housekeeping when needed;
- Other duties as assigned (may include assisting other departments with administrative work or special projects).
- Perform daily Museum Store functions including POS, administrative tasks, e-commerce, and marketing under the direction of the Museum Store Manager.
Facilities & Security
- Perform daily opening and closing procedures. Maintain assigned security codes and key sets necessary for basic facilities management;
- Perform routine patrols throughout the interior and exterior of the facility to ensure the safety of exhibitions, report any unusual conditions or problems, ensure cleanliness of the facility, and observe proper protocols for access to restricted areas;
- Collaborate with Facilities Director to ensure streamlined communications and improve visitor experience. Consult with and serve as onsite point of contact for facilities-related matters in the absence of the Facilities Director or Visitors Services Manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required, bachelor’s degree preferred. Interest in art, history, nonprofits, or museums is a plus;
- Prior customer service, retail, cash handling and/or security experience required;
- Excellent customer service and communications skills. Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns;
- Working knowledge of business office applications including email, word processing, spreadsheet and database applications preferred;
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel;
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and safety procedures;
- Ability to work cooperatively with all staff, trustees, volunteers, and members;
- Ability to multi-task, problem solve, and adapt to the needs of visitors and staff;
- Required to work weekends and occasional evening events;
- Moderate physical activity. Must be able to stand for long periods and lift up to 25 pounds.
This is a part-time (28 hours weekly), hourly position with benefits. The hourly rate is $15.00.
Please email a cover letter and resume with contacts of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: Visitor Services Associate. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture is an equal opportunity employer.
View more job openings at MCHC.