Skip menu to read main page content
magnify
magnify
magnify
x

Fragment, Wood

Description

This wood chip is a piece of the mulberry tree under which the first Mass led by Father Andrew White was held following the landing of the Maryland colonists at St. Mary’s City in March 1634. The piece was saved by Rev. R. Heber Murphy (1835–1911) after the tree died.

Creator

unknown

Date

1634

Materials

Mulberry wood

Dimensions

4 H x 2 W x 2 D inches

Resource ID

10785

Credit Line

Gift of Mr. Richard M. Duvall

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture

Rights

This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.