Exterior view of Evergreen House front porch
DescriptionExterior view of the Evergreen House front porch. The Evergreen estate was built by Baltimore, Maryland's Broadbent family in 1857, then was sold in 1878 to John Work Garrett, president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Garrett purchased the estate for his son, and it served as home to two generations of Garretts. In 1942, the mansion and surrounding 26 acres of landscaped lawns and gardens became part of Johns Hopkins University as the Evergreen Museum & Library.