Fulton's Ferry House, West Shore
DescriptionPencil on paper drawing of "Fulton's Ferry House, West Shore", ca. 1801, from the Latrobe Sketchbooks, by Benjamin Henry Latrobe. n 1801, Latrobe was appointed by the Pennsylvania governor to work with the Susquehanna Canal Company of Maryland to make improvements to the Lower Susquehanna River. He surveyed the river with a small crew from October-November of that year and presented his work to the governor in March 1802. Latrobe's team began the forty-mile survey project to Havre de Grace, Maryland from Columbia, Pennsylvania. Fulton's Ferry has been known by numerous names overtime. It has also been called "Bald Fry's Ferry" or "Bald Friar's Ferry". Today, it is the sight of the Conowingo bridge and dam. This pencil sketch, was taken from the ferry boat of the west bank, which today is part of Darlington, Harford County, Maryland. It features Fulton's ferry house of log construction, with several other outbuildings, and a winding road with a closed gate where land meets the river.