Skip menu to read main page content
magnify
x

Federal Hill observatory tower

Description

A marine observation tower in the Federal Hill neighborhood of Baltimore, Maryland. This ornate, Victorian-era tower replaced the original 1795 observatory sometime around 1880. This tower was destroyed by a strong wind in 1902, after which signal service was completely discontinued.

Creator

unknown

Date

circa 1900

Language(s)

English

Dimensions

5 x 7 inches

Extent

1 negative

Catalog Number

MC2361

Resource ID

49

Notes

This collection is part of the larger Baltimore City Life Museum Collection, transferred to the Maryland Historical Society (now Maryland Center for History and Culture) in 1998.

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture

Rights

This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.