John Eager Howard
DescriptionOil on canvas portrait painting of "John Eager Howard," 1846, by Michael Laty after Charles Willson Peale. Howard (1752-1827) rose to the rank of colonel in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. He served as the 5th Governor of Maryland (1788-1791) and was a United States Senator from Maryland (1796-1803). Howard County as well as Howard and Eager Streets in Baltimore are named after him. After Howard was wounded at the Battle of Eutaw Springs (1781) he left military service and returned to law in Baltimore County. In 1787, he sat in uniform wearing his Society of the Cincinnati badge for a portrait by Charles Willson Peale (1741-1827). In 1846, Michael Laty (1828-1848) painted a second version of the Peale portrait for Howard's children. James Howard (1797-1870) and Charles Howard (1802-1869), two of the colonel's sons, donated the painting to the Maryland Center for History and Culture in 1846.