Skip menu to read main page content
magnify
x

Colonel Nicholas Rogers IV

Description

Oil on canvas portrait painting of Colonel Nicholas Rogers IV (1753-1822) holding a terrier, ca. 1811 or 1822 by John Wesley Jarvis. Rogers was born in Baltimore and educated at the University of Glasgow. Early in the American Revolution, Rogers joined the continental army and served on the staff of General Du Coudray, and later, Aide-de-Camp of Baron De Kalb. He saw service at many battles, the hardships of winter at Valley Forge, and served with distinction through the end of the war. In later life he built "The Mansion House" on his Baltimore estate "Druid Hill". Today, his property forms the basis of Druid Hill Park. Rogers is buried in Old St. Paul's Cemetery in Baltimore.

Date

circa 1811-1822

Materials

Oil on canvas

Object ID

1950.103.1

Resource ID

5094

Credit Line

Gift of Mrs. Helen Hubbard, Mrs. Walter Oakman, and Mrs. J.H. Ten Eyck Burr

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture

Rights

This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.