Anderson’s Mill, Below Wrights Ferry, Susquehanna River
Watercolor on paper drawing of "Anderson's Mill, Below Wrights Ferry, Susquehanna River", 1802, from the Latrobe Sketchbooks, by Benjamin Henry Latrobe. In 1801, Latrobe was appointed by the Pennsylvania governor to work with the Susquehanna Canal Company of Maryland to make improvements to the Lower Susquehanna River. He surveyed the river with a small crew from October-November of that year and presented his work to the governor in March 1802. Latrobe's team began the forty-mile survey project to Havre de Grace, Maryland from Columbia, Pennsylvania. Wright's Ferry, established in 1726, was a critical connecting point for York and Lancaster Counties. This scene depicts the white "Anderson's Mill" building along the Susquehanna.