Ladies' black silk and red velvet boot with low heel. Boot closes with seven black buttons on one side. Red velvet covers the heel and toe box, forming a bow above the tow that is centered with a small metal buckle. This shoe belonged to Helen West Stewart Ridgely (1854-1929) (Mrs. John Ridgely) of Hampton Mansion. Active in high society for more than fifty years, she was a member of the Maryland Society of the Colonial Dames of America, Society of Colonial Governors, and Maryland Historical Society among others. She was the author of two works: "The Old Brick Churches of Maryland" (1894) and "Historic Graves of Maryland and the District of Columbia" and an accomplished watercolor painter.