Chestertown Custom House
View of the Custom House located on Water Street in Chestertown, Maryland. A large porch extends from the side of the house, while a figure stands on the sidewalk with a hand on their hip. Built in 1746, the Custom House was the residence of Thomas Ringgold IV, an attorney and one of the most active slave traders in the entire Chesapeake region. During the 20th century, historic preservationist and civic leader Wilbur Ross Hubbard restored the building and bequeathed it to Washington College upon his death in 1993.