Congress Hall, Baltimore and Sharp Streets, 1776
A clipped image of Congress Hall in Baltimore, Maryland, which was the meeting site of the Second Continental Congress of the Thirteen Colonies of America from 1776-1777. Originally built as a tavern and inn around 1770 by Henry Fite (1722-1789), the building was first simply known as the "Henry Fite House." After the American Revolutionary War, the building was referred to as "Old Congress Hall." The building was located on West Baltimore Street (previously known as Market Street), between South Sharp and North Liberty Streets (also later known as Hopkins Place). It was destroyed in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.