Skip menu to read main page content

Corner of Cathedral and Centre Streets, Baltimore, Maryland


This three-story Charleston-style mansion was located at the northeast corner of Cathedral Street and Centre Street in Baltimore, Maryland. It was built circa 1845 by Thomas P. Williams of North Carolina. The house stood back from the street and was surrounded on three sides by flower gardens. A notable architectural feature of the building was the columns that reached to the top of the second story. Known owners of the house were: from 1845-1849, Thomas P. Williams (1810-1886), from 1849-1873, John Williams (1804-1876), from 1874-1878, John Small Jr. (1808-1878), and from 1878-1891, Anna Small and Rebecca Small Rayburn. An inscription printed on the front of the photograph states: "PP 3.40 Corner of Cathedral and Centre Streets."


circa 1890s

Collection Number


Object ID



1 print

Resource ID



Previous vertical file topical heading: Baltimore Street Views

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture


This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.