Custom House, Chestertown
View of the Custom House located on Water Street in Chestertown, Maryland. The house is located on the banks of the Chester River, which can be seen on the far left of the image. Built in 1746, the Custom House was the residence of Thomas Ringgold IV, an attorney and one of the most active slave traders in the entire Chesapeake region. Wilbur Ross Hubbard, a historic preservationist and civic leader, restored the building and bequeathed it to Washington College upon his death in 1993.