Exterior view of Homewood estate front porch
Exterior of the Homewood estate front porch. Homewood was built between 1801 and 1806 as a country home for Charles Carroll, Jr, son of Charles Carroll of Carrollton who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Federal-period Palladian home was in the Carroll family until purchased by merchant William Wyman in 1838 and rented to various tenants until becoming the Country Day School for Boys (predecessor of the Gilman School). Johns Hopkins University then acquired Homewood, moving its downtown Baltimore campus north to the site of the home, naming the campus after it, and incorporating the architectural style into the new construction. The estate served a variety of functions on campus until becoming a museum in 1987.