A view of the tavern which is situated at the corner of the junction of Chambersburg Pike and Herr's Ridge Road in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The building was constructed in 1815 and was purchased by Frederick Herr (1787-1868) in 1828. It was a stop on the Underground Railroad and during the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863) it was used as a Confederate hospital. The caption on the front of the photo reads: "Herr's Tavern - Gettysburg. Aug 11/24."
Verso transcription: Herr's Tavern on the Chambersburg Pike - w of Gettysburg - where Confederate cannon opened the battle Aug 11 1924