Representation of the Merchants Exchange, Baltimore, Maryland
Depiction of the Merchants Exchange in Baltimore, Maryland, once located at the southwest corner of Gay and Water Streets. Designed by Benjamin Latrobe in collaboration with Maximilien Godefroy, the building was constructed circa 1815-1820. It had a Greco-Roman design, with a dome that was a landmark in the city during the building's existence. The dome had catwalk promenades offering good views of the Baltimore harbor. At different times, the building served as a stock exchange and reading room, customs house, bank, hotel, and post office, and as a venue for various public ceremonies: General Lafayette was received here in 1824, and Abraham Lincoln, Henry Clay, and Baltimore heroes of the Mexican War lay in state under the dome. The building was demolished circa 1901-1902.