Pair of women's black leather shoes with pink silk ruched trim. The leather at the shoes' tops feature floral motif cut-outs that reveal pink silk underneath. Chain stitching decorates the edges of the leather cutouts. A label inside one shoe reads "D. ARDIN, / No. 4 / South Street / 3 doors from Market/ Baltimore". David Ardin, Sr. (1804-1890) immigrated to Baltimore from Switzerland. He married in 1832 and became a naturalized citizen in 1834. First operating on Harrison Street as a shoe store owner, he moved his operation to 4 South Street in 1843 and conducted business there until about 1850. Ardin maintained his business of fasionable ladies shoes and boots at various locations, well into the 1880s.