This painted and carved wooden statue features a Native American woman, or "Cigar Store Indian," with "Cigars & Tobacco" painted on front. According to family history, in 1858, this statue was purchased second hand for $150 and displayed outside the tobacco and candy wholesale disributors "B. Faistenhamer Company." Bernard Faistenhamer, Sr. (1830-1902) was born in Munich, Germany. Soon after immigrating to Baltimore, Maryland, in 1853, he established his shop at 126 Low Street. Upon his death, the business passed to son Bernard Faistenhamer, Jr. (1872-1944), who kept the well-known statue bolted to the front of the store - now located on Forrest Street. Ownership of the family business ultimatley passed to niece Hildegarde C. Raabe Birney (Mrs. Russell E. Birney) (1900-1978), who managed it until her retirement in 1965.