U. S. General Hospital, Newton University
Newton University was a liberal arts university in Baltimore, Maryland, that was given a charter by the state in 1845. It was located on East Lexington Street between North Calvert and North (later Guilford Avenue) Streets. The university ran into legal troubles in 1856 and closed permanently in 1859. During the Civil War (1861-1865) it became a 300-bed hospital where both Union and Confederate soldiers were treated.