View of the City of Richmond From the Bank of the James River
Watercolor on paper drawing of "View of the City of Richmond From the Bank of the James River", May 24, 1798, from the Latrobe Sketchbooks, by Benjamin Henry Latrobe. In the foreground are a series of dirt roads and numerous houses. In the distance at the center are the white columns of the Virginia State Capitol building, which was in use by 1792. To the left, and crossing the James River and Mayo Island, is "Mayo's Bridge", named after its builder Colonel John Mayo, Jr. (1760-1818).