Skip menu to read main page content

Wells & McComas Monument

Description

A view of the Wells & McComas monument located in Ashland Square at the intersection of Monument and Gay Streets, Baltimore, Maryland. Built in the 1850s, the monument is a 21 foot tall obelisk made of Baltimore County marble. It commemorates Daniel Wells and Henry Gough McComas, snipers credited, with scant evidence, for killing British general Robert Ross during the Battle of Bladensburg on August 14, 1812. Both young men were killed during the Battle of North Point in September 1812. Their remains are interred in the monument. The verso of the photograph, written in ink and pencil, reads as follows: Verso transcription: Monument & Gay Sts. Balto. Md. Ashland Square Wells & McComas Monument Stamped: W.E. Bateman Coll.

Date

circa 1910

Dimensions

6.5 x 4.25 inches

Object ID

MC9626-2

Extent

1 print

Resource ID

3000

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture

Rights

This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.