Skip menu to read main page content
magnify
x

Exterior detail of Homewood estate front door

Description

Detailed view of the top of the front door and cornice from the exterior of the Homewood estate. Homewood was built between 1801 and 1806 as a country home for Charles Carroll, Jr., son of Charles Carroll of Carrollton who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Federal-period Palladian home was in the Carroll family until purchased by merchant William Wyman in 1838 and rented to various tenants until becoming the Country Day School for Boys (predecessor of the Gilman School). Johns Hopkins University then acquired Homewood, moving its downtown Baltimore campus north to the site of the home, naming the campus after it, and incorporating the architectural style into the new construction. The estate served a variety of functions on campus until becoming a museum in 1987.

Creator

unknown

Date

circa 1915

Dimensions

3.5 x 3.5 inches

Extent

1 print (from group of 6)

Resource ID

1277

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture

Rights

This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.