Skip menu to read main page content

Auditorium Music Hall


Street-level night view of the Auditorium Theater and Music Hall, located at 506 North Howard Street, near Franklin Street in Baltimore, Maryland. The first building on this site opened as The Natatorium in 1880 and was purchased by James L Kernan (1838-1912) in 1892. It was reopened as a vaudeville theater in 1903 and by the following year, the building was converted to a concert hall where musicals and plays were performed. In 1940, C.W. Hicks purchased the building and it became the Mayfair Movie Theatre which closed in 1988. The building was heavily damaged by fire in 2014. As of 2023, only the facade remains.


circa 1904

Collection Number



5x7 inches

Object ID


Resource ID


Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture


This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.