Skip menu to read main page content

Baltimore Municipal Stadium


Baltimore Municipal Stadium located on 900 East 33rd Street. The multi-purpose stadium opened in 1922 and in 1944 became home to the Baltimore Orioles after a fire destroyed their former park. The stadium was renamed “Babe Ruth Stadium” in 1948 after the death of the legendary Baltimore native, and was again renamed “Memorial Stadium” in 1949 in honor of America’s veterans. Reconstruction on the stadium began in 1949, and was still under construction in 1954 when the new major league Orioles opened their first season. Over the following decades, the stadium was home to both the Baltimore Orioles and the Baltimore Colts. The Colts relocated to Indianapolis in 1984, and the Orioles chose to abandon Memorial Stadium in 1991 in favor of a new downtown ballpark. The stadium was officially closed in 1997, and fully demolished by 2002.






Object ID



1 glass plate negative

Catalog Number


Resource ID



This collection is part of the larger Baltimore City Life Museum Collection, transferred to the Maryland Historical Society (now Maryland Center for History and Culture) in 1998.

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture


This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.