Guilford mansion gates
The gates of the original Guilford mansion with lions reported to be copies of the lions of the Louvre in Paris, France. Guilford was built by William McDonald after inheriting the land from his father General McDonald in 1850. Arunah S. Abell, founder of The Sun, purchased the property in 1872 and it remained in the Abell family until it was sold to the Guilford Company in 1907. The house was eventually razed in 1914 and stood in what is now known as the Guilford neighborhood of Baltimore, Maryland.