Guilford mansion parlor
The parlor room of the original Guilford mansion. Visible in the photograph are chairs, tables, ewers, a large framed painting, a chandelier, and a piano. William McDonald inherited the Guildford estate from his father, General McDonald, in 1850, and built the Guilford mansion upon the land. John De Speyer became the next owner, and then Arunah S. Abell, founder of The Baltimore Sun, purchased the property in 1872. It remained in the Abell family until it was sold to the Guilford Company in 1907. The house was eventually razed in 1914. The area where it once stood would became known as the Guilford neighborhood of Baltimore, Maryland.