Skip menu to read main page content

Haussner’s Restaurant


Two employees at Haussner's Restaurant, one of whom is filling water glasses while the other cuts a pie. Haussner's was opened in 1926 by William Henry Haussner (1894-1963) and his wife Frances Wilke Haussner (1909 -2000) and was located at 3244 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland. The restaurant was known for its German and Maryland cuisine, as well as their strawberry pie, and became a Baltimore landmark over the years. The Haussners were also art collectors, and they purchased over 100 pieces of art, including some highly important works by 19th century American and European artists, which were used to decorate the restaurant. Haussner's served its last meal on October 6, 1999 and the building was razed in 2016.



Collection Number



5 x 7 inches

Object ID



1 negative (from group of 13)

Catalog Number


Resource ID



This collection is part of the larger Baltimore City Life Museum Collection, transferred to the Maryland Historical Society (now Maryland Center for History and Culture) in 1998.

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture


This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.