Skip menu to read main page content

Machine, Washing

Description

This Dexter Eastwin Washing Machine, on wheels, features two washtubs, is electrified with electric wringer at top center, and has a painted green base with red and green chrome accents. Manufactured around 1931, this machine belonged to the Mankiewicz family, who lived at 2223 East Pratt Street, Baltimore, Maryland, from the 1930s-1950s. The machine was long used by daughter Eva E. Mankiewicz (1911-1993), who in her youth worked as a seamstress in a clothing factory. Following the deaths of both parents in 1948 and 1949, Eva and her two sisters moved to 3704 Bondview Avenue and left a number of household items behind, including this washing machine.

Creator

Date

circa 1931

Materials

Steel, chrome, paint

Object ID

BCLM-1994.107.4

Resource ID

11847

Credit Line

Gift of Larry Dilegge

Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture

Rights

This digital image is made available here for private study, scholarship, and research. Commercial and other uses are prohibited without the permission of the Maryland Center for History and Culture. For more information, visit the MCHC’s Reproductions and Permissions web page.