Skip menu to read main page content

Patapsco Female Institute, Ellicotts Mills, Maryland


Print depicting the Patapsco Female Institute, a girls' boarding school located on Church Road in Ellicott City, Maryland. The building was designed by architect Robert Cary Long (1810-1849) and built by Charles Timanus. The driving force behind the school was Almira Hart Lincoln Phelps (1793-1884), a scientist, educator, author, and editor. She designed the school to enable young women to be trained well enough to support themselves through teaching. The school opened on January 1, 1837 and remained in operation until 1891.





Contributor(s) Notes

Artist, Publisher: Chas. Koehl; Lithographer: E. Sachse & Co.



1 print

Resource ID


Digital Publisher

Digital resource provided by the Maryland Center for History and Culture


The Maryland Center for History and Culture believes this work to be in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States and it therefore may be used, reproduced and distributed without permission. As MCHC is responsible for the digitized version of this work, MCHC requests attribution for material obtained from this website, citing our name and the resource ID.

Rights URI: