Portrait of Charles Ridgely Chew
Daguerreotype portrait of Charles Ridgely Chew (1827-1875). Chew, the son of Henry Banning Chew (1800-1866), was a Baltimore County landowner. He lived at "Epsom" which today forms the campus of Goucher College, near Towson. Chew married Harriet C. Green (1829-1898), daughter of John Green of Baltimore, in 1845. They had seven children: Elizabeth Ann (1847-1912) married John Alex Green; Henry Banning (1848-1917); Ann Sophia Penn (1850-1921) married Henry Grason; Catherine (1852-1882;, Charles Ridgely Jr. (1854-1896); Benjamin (1856-1906); and Harriet (1860-1941).