This flax spinning wheel was used by enslaved people at the "The Cottage," a large plantation in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. It was employed in the production of linsey-woolsey fabric, a wool-linen blend. Purchased in the 1830s, Charles Clagett (1819-1894) was gifted five hundred acres that made up "The Cottage." The plantation produced mainly tobacco, as well as wool products and livestock. By 1860, sixty-four slaves lived and worked on the property.