Our dedicated volunteers make our mission possible and allow current and future generations of visitors to be inspired by our collection and our collective past.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
The MCHC’s docents deliver interactive group tours and programs for students and adults. We are seeking candidates who have an interest in history, enjoy working with students and the public, and feel comfortable speaking to groups. We provide training on MCHC collections, exhibitions, tour methodology and themes, and museum policies. Volunteers are scheduled as needed upon mutual agreement with MCHC staff for the following:
- Offered on Wednesdays and Fridays between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. from September through June.
- Two-hour museum tours that emphasize hands-on activities rather than lecturing.
- Primarily for elementary and middle school students with occasional high school groups.
- Offered occasionally, Wednesday to Sunday, between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., year-round.
- One-hour museum tours that combine docent-led discussions with lecture.
- Primarily for senior adults.
We prefer candidates willing to deliver both school and adult tours. Additional volunteer opportunities are available for non-school groups, summer programs, and public programs.
- 18 years or older
- Enthusiastic and friendly personality
- Interest in and some knowledge of American history and culture
- Physical ability to lead indoor walking tours (including stairs) of up to two hours
- Complimentary MCHC membership, including free library and museum admission
- Complimentary admission to MCHC lectures and programs
- Professional orientation and ongoing monthly training
- Annual enrichment field trip
- Ability to see the behind-the-scenes at the MCHC
- An opportunity to make new friends with similar interests
Please complete the Education Volunteer Application , or mail your materials to:
David Armenti, Director of Education
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21201